Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Community I Belong to..

One community that I belong to is the UMBC Athletics community. Being a member of the track team , I have to uphold the standards of the University as well as the standards of my team. Those standards, are being respectful, using good sportsmanship and just giving it my all everytime i compete. As a member of this community i think i can say that all of the student athletes honor these rules when we are getting ready to participate in our sport. We all put redicoulous hours into practice and into the weight room. Im sure everytime we dont do as well as we want, all of the standards go out the window. But the way we are coached is never to show that in public.

This is my community because while im at school, this is what I spend most of my time doing. I have to follow the rules and standards if I want to stay here and continue to run. Being in this community will help me for the rest of my college career, as well as when I become more of an adult and it comes time for me have a job, it will just give me the discipline. Track and school are pretty much like my jobs right now. If my coaches and the athletic department did not sanction us for rule infractions than we would do whatever we wanted. As athletes us doing what we want is counter productive. I personally dont think it would be good if we did what we wanted because most of us proably would not practice. This community keeps me in line and im proud to be apart of it.

No comments: